Aw, the monkey, perhaps the tastiest of all jungle critters. Monkey meat is common in the cuisine of many African and Asian countries where monkeys are prevalent. It is considered to have extra nutritional value, and top scientists in China consume the meat for health reasons. But beyond the health benefits, monkey meat is just darn tasty and is widely consumed in China, Indonesia, Southeast Asia, and Africa.
Monkey meat is considered bushmeat, but can be purchased fresh, dried, or in cans and is available in specialty ethnic food stores in many countries.
Try this monkey meat recipe at home:
Monkey meat steaks (serves 6)
- 2 pounds of monkey meat roast
- 1 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Anaheim chile peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chile peppers, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can monkey meat broth